Monday, September 10, 2012

Vocabulary #4

1. Melancholy: A deep, pensive, long lasting sadness.
For two years she was in a state of melancholy when her husband died.

2. Exemplary: Serving as a desirable model; representing the best of its kind.
Kelley is an exemplary student because she always does her homework.

3. Peculiar: Strange or odd; unusual.
There is a peculiar kid in my backyard that sings a song every hour.

4. Dread: Anticipate with great apprehension or fear.
I am dreading having to take my history test.

5. Bough: A main branch of a tree.
On the bough sat a swing tied tightly.

6. Pious: Devoutly religious.
A very pious women told me to repent or die.

7. Communion: The sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings.
After our fight, we had a communion and worked everything out.

8. Auditor: A person who conducts an examination.
My job needs an auditor to look over everything.

9. Multitude: A large number.
Then the multitude began to riot and take down the fence in their way.

10. Eloquence: Fluent or persuasive speaking or writing.
My dad spoke with eloquence even though he was nervous.

11. Despair: The complete loss or absence of hope.
He felt utter despair when he saw his most prized cow fall off the cliff.

12. Hoary: Grayish-white.
An old man with hoary hair threw his cain at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment