Thursday, October 4, 2012

Literature Analysis "PEAK"

1. The novel Peak is about a kid who climbed skyscrapers his whole life and wanted to go even higher. When his father showed up out of the blue and offered him the chance to climb Mt. Everest, he couldn't resist. The journey of the climb, is life threatening and encourages us to work for what we want in life and never lose sight of what is in front of us because of our selfish reasons.
2. The theme of the novel is that no matter how much you want something and you see that your friend needs it even more, you should be willing to sacrafice it for the people you love.
3. "I wanted to send Sun-jo packing back to Nepal, but instead, without much enthusiasm, I said, It's ok with me." In this first quote, you can sense that the author wants you to understand what the character is really meaning and how they actually feel without completely portraying it on the outside. "Kathmandu. For me the name conjured up mystery, adventures, possibilities, but the reality was somewhat different." Here, the author first makes you feel excited with the character, until you see that reality hits and you are able to sympathize with the character and understand how he is feeling. "A story is built like a stone wall. Not all the stones will fit. Some will have to be discarded." The author includes several innuendos such as this one, to explain how he thinks things should be done and it makes you want to agree and do the same.
4. "I was so exhausted I wanted to check myself into the hospital as a patient." pg. 42 This one uses hyperbole because of the over-exageration.
"The motorcycle belched out a column of gray smoke so thick I thought the bike had burst into
flames along with my new friend." pg. 56 This one uses personifiation since the inanimate objest is given a human characteristic.
"In this way the smoke cannot catch us" pg. 56 This one also has personification because smoke cannot really run.
"Nepal had beautiful valleys, rustic villages, fields tilled by oxen-pulled plows and sparkling Himalayas." pg. 62 This one is all imagery since everything is painting you a picture.
"She was over six feet tall with limbs like a daddy longlegs'." pg. 82 This one uses a simile, using like to compare two things.
"Josh wriggled out of her tentacles and held her at arm's length so she couldn't snag him again." pg. 82 This one could be indirect characterization, saying that she has arms like an octopus.
"The snow was so thick I wasn't sure how I was going to find my tent." pg. 97 Imagery is used again, describing the picture for you.
"If you take off your gloves above Camp Five your fingers will fall off and you'll be pushing buttons with your nose for the rest of your life." pg. 143 This one is also hyperbole, saying something to the extreme.
"I walked away feeling his eyes drilling into the back of my neck." pg. 153 This one could also be indirect characterization, saying that he has eyes that look as though they can see right through you.
"I remember what my mother said about there being no one better than Josh when you are at the end of your rope." pg. 174 This one can be allusion, how the author is trying to refer to being in despair.

1. "The skin beneath was pale compared to the upper part of his handsome face, which was widburned and sunburned."(pg. 19) Direct. Stated his looks up front
"The judge was going to eat me up and spit me out." Indirect. Makes you feel like the judge is a mean person who hates kids.
"His arm and calf muscles were well defined and powerful." (pg. 57) Direct. Gave you an image to picture him as.
"Mr. Wood, how much time have you spent with your son lately?" (pg. 23) Indirect. States that maybe he doesn't spend enough time with his son and his son doesn't have a good foundation.
The author uses both direct and indirect, to use your imagination and give you a say in how you want to think. Your lasting impression is up to you and other people might have a different view on the situation.
2. I do think the authors diction changes when he is focused on a character. He might be more excited to use one character over the other and might have better ideas flowing, using better writing.
3. The protagonist is a dynamic, round character, because in the beginning he only cared about himself, and in the end he thought of others.
4. After I read the book, I left feeling like I met a person. I was so connected in what was happening in the book, I felt like I got to know this peron one on one. There isn't just one textual example on this, because the entire book is what I connected with.

No comments:

Post a Comment